Jen's Coconut Chutney
- Ready in: 30 minutes
- Serves: 8
- Complexity: easy
- 1 whole dry coconut, husk removed
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 hot peppers (scotch bonnet), seeded
- 9 blades shadon beni
- 1 sour tamarind pod, flesh removed
- Salt to taste
- Roast the flesh of the coconut over an open flame until charred on both sides. Scrape any extra burnt bits from the flesh under running water. Slice the coconut into fine strips.
- Place in a food processor and pulse until very fine. Remove and set aside.
- In the food processor, add the shadon beni, peppers, and garlic. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Place the coconut in a bowl and add the seasonings.
- Add the tamarind flesh and salt and mix well, ensuring all the ingredients are well incorporated. The chutney should have a spreadable texture, similar to a paste.
- Place in a glass bottle and store in the refrigerator. Use as a condiment with your favourite meals.