SPLIT PEAS SOUP
- Complexity: medium
- 4 pieces smoked bones or pigtail
- 3 cups dried yellow split peas, washed and soaked overnight
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- 1/4 lb pumpkin, chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 5-6 eddoes, cooked, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3–4 sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large dasheen, cooked, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tbsp chopped celery leaves
- 2 – 3 large thyme leaves, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 large whole garlic cloves, peeled
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Dough for dumplings
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the whole garlic cloves and let burn in the oil. Remove the garlic and discard.
- Add the smoked bones or pigtail. Add the onion, peas, carrots and pumpkin. Stir for a minute and then add the water and bouillon cubes.
- Let cook for 30 - 45 minutes or until the peas are tender. Halfway through the cooking time add the corn.
- When the peas are tender and beginning to breakdown,add the eddoes, sweet potatoes, dasheen and garlic. Continue to cook over a medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add the shaped dumplings, celery and thyme, salt and black pepper. Let cook for a further 10 - 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve hot.